Evidence! Evidence! Evidence! It is always important in custody battles to have evidence that supports your position. With that in mind, here are some easy and useful ways to successfully gather evidence to support your custody case at trial.
1. COMMUNICATE THROUGH TEXT MESSAGING By communicating in writing, all communication you have with your Ex is documented and can be used as evidence if needed. It will also prevent your Ex from misstating anything you have said and save the time stamp of the conversation.
2. LIMIT SOCIAL MEDIA USAGE Posting photos and statuses in fun, but they can all be used against you. It is often smarter to not post anything than to try to post happy or fun statuses because often an event that was fun for you can be misconstrued and give a negative appearance.
3. START A JOURNAL By writing down everything, you are ensured that you will not forget when or how something occurred. Many times people will actually get a calendar and put things on it as events occur. When trial comes, this calendar is very beneficial and shows supporting evidence that your story is accurate true.
4. TAKE PHOTOS Take photos of your child, your home and any place you frequently take your child such as daycare. These photos can be used to contradict any claim that your child is in danger in your custody
5. USE AUDIO RECORDINGS In Oklahoma, only one party needs to know that a conversation is being recorded. There are multiple free apps you can download and record a conversation or a fight that can be used later. Any time you interact with your Ex, record the interaction. This can be used as evidence at trial if your stories do not match up.
The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any matter.
Ritchie, Rock & McBride is a premier Oklahoma law firm that protects individuals, families, businesses and the property they own across our state by bringing superior representation to the needs of our clients and to the details of their cases.